the tilton begins, and a bridal salon it is

After last week’s rant, and earlier, two side trips updating my experience with the Wim Hof Method, I’m back to “dollhousing.” I’ve been struggling with the design of the Tilton room box for longer than I should. It’s one-room, for goodness sakes! My smallest project, yet! How confusing can it be?

As you may recall, I thought I’d do a bridal salon. I chose all of the elements on Etsy, but when I added up the cost prior to purchase, I found the sum was a bit staggering. I considered choosing another design, but I tend to be one of those people who is easily stuck. In almost any area of my life, if I see something I like, but then there is an impediment–cost, or whatever–I can’t move past it.

That’s where I landed with the Tilton, so I’m proceeding with the salon, but rather than putting the emphasis on furnishings, I’m going to focus on the architectural components of the room, and do as much as I can from scratch.

With that in mind, I began with the floor. One thing about Earth and Tree dollhouses, they have pretty “furniture-grade” panels. I stained the floor and I could have left it alone, but instead, I went with a challenge. I hand cut a herringbone pattern from S.H. Goode and Sons hardwood plank flooring in 3/8″ walnut. I picked it up from Earth and Tree planning to lay it on the second floor of the Rye, but as construction on the Rye proceeded, I found I needed to hide a number of wires beneath the flooring. I wouldn’t be able to get the stiff planks to lay flat, so I used floor paper instead.

Once I cut all of the pieces, I needed a bit of assist in laying them. This video was helpful, but I’m afraid as I often find, the makers of these tutorials have skills and talent that far exceeds mine. Nevertheless, I gave it my best shot.

It took me several sessions to cut all of the pieces, then about three additional sessions to place and glue them, so it was a time-consuming process, but hey, I’m retired, and COVID is still disrupting my joy of shopping, so what else do I have on my plate? I sanded the finished floor lightly with 320 gauge sandpaper (not in the direction of the wood grain, as instructed. You can see the problem with that. But it seemed to work out fine.) The walnut planks were beautiful, I think much prettier than the dark stain I added, but I needed the shade to fit the other elements I planned for the room. I used Minwax wood finish in ebony, and rounded things out with a coat of polyurethane.

For as long as I stared blankly at the Tilton, when I began construction, I rushed in without thinking. I should have begun by prepping the walls, or, at least, throwing a coat of paint on the bottom two inches. Now, I’m going to have to be careful not to make a mess of the floor.

Planning, precision, and patience. Not my strong suits.

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s